Christmas Cactus Plants

Christmas Cactus Planting

Anonymous added on December 19, 2014 | Answered

I recently purchased a Christmas cactus. I kept it in the pot I purchased it in. There are holes in the bottom for drainage and put it into a pot that I had that you water from the bottom. The pot the cactus is in is about an inch above the bottom of the pot in which I watered it in. My question is, will the plant receive sufficient watering this way in this other planter within the pot I am putting the water in?

With Christmas cactus you have to take care not to over water and this method may not be feasible for the plant. Cactus plants prefer minimal water, so it's better to water the plant only when the soil is dry to the touch. Too much water will cause the buds to fall off, or root rot. The best rule of thumb for a Christmas cactus is to water it once a month, and never let the pot sit in water.

00
Here are more questions about Christmas Cactus Plants