Carob Trees

Carob Trees

Hi I have a big carob tree and I need to remove. I need to ask if the roots are spread sideways or downwards. I am afraid that the routes can go under my neighbors and I don`t want to cause any damage in their property. Can you pls give me some feedback Thanks

Fortunately the carob tree has one main root which grows straight down, known as a taproot, plus other smaller roots. The smaller side roots are unlikely to damage property but I suppose any tree could be damaging if it is very close to a structure.

If you do think its roots are causing damage: it is sometimes possible to cut some of the roots that are causing damage, and then install a barrier to prevent them from re-growing. But, as the following articles explain, this can sometimes kill the tree or even cause it to become unstable and fall over later on, so it needs to be done carefully. If you decide to remove the tree, besides simply cutting it down, girdling is an effective way to kill it.

Here are more questions about Carob Trees