Carob Trees

Carob for Mulch

I live in Cyprus where soil property is very poor and rocky. There is an abundance of carob pods available in my garden, and I theorize that anything taking this much energy from such poor soil will hopefully return some of this goodness when used as a mulch. The only drawback I can see so far is the amount of carob seedlings that appear two or so years later. What are your thoughts?

You probably can use carob pods in the garden, but, if I remember correctly, they are high in acid and could make the soil acidic. You will need to keep an eye on that.

00
j03bh09an

I would try to avoid using the carob pods but if you have to use them, put the carob pods in a blender and get them liquified. Gradually mix into the soil until it is damp. Bake it in the oven to get rid of contaminants in the soil before you try planting in it. Test the pH. If it is over 7 count on getting a lot of male plants. You can always add bone meal which will slowly neutralize the pH. Good Luck and Happy Growing!

Cheers,
Joe

00
Here are more questions about Carob Trees