Container Wisteria Vines
Q.

Caring for Wisteria in Michigan

I have a brand new wisteria that is very small - about 2 feet tall. It started as a stick and grew many leaves. I have it in a 5 gallon bucket. The winters here are extreme and I thought that putting it in the bucket I could easily bring it in the house for the winter, if that is at all possible to do to a plant like that. I know that they can get huge but will his one live at all in a bucket?

A.
A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

Wisteria normally do not make good container plants because they grow too big and too fast. That being said, an established wisteria typically does not need any winter care, but since yours is a new planting, wrapping in burlap will help ensure it makes it through the winter.

In terms of cold, if you live in Zone 5 or higher, it shuold be fine in a container with no extra care but if you live in Zone 4 or lower, it will need extra protection. If you are in Zone 4, wrapping it in burlap and hay or leaves or moving it near a south facing wall should protect it enough for the winter. In Zones 3 or less, you would need to move it to a protected area, like an attached garage.

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
Container Wisteria Vines
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More