Palm Tree Problems

Caring for Indoor Palm

Anonymous added on January 14, 2011 | Answered

I have an indoor palm that I bought the summer of 2006. It was producing 'leaves' around 4'1/2 to 5' tall. It got this white film (for lack of a better word) around the base a year or so later. I repotted it and since then it's been only 2' to 3' tall. I was wondering how to prune it, and if there is anything I can do to get it tall again.

There are many things that can affect a palm tree like this but it was likely either a fungus or an insect infestation. It is also likely that whatever it was has not gone away and this is why the palm has gotten as tall as it was. I would treat the tree with neem oil, which takes care of both insects and fungus. I would leave pruning to only removing brown fronds. Once it is not stressed, it should grow tall for you again.

00
Here are more questions about Palm Tree Problems