Caryopteris Shrubs

Care of Bluebeard Caryopteris

I live in zone 5: I have a Bluebeard Caryopteris which was planted last summer. It only shot up one branch during that growth period. It has wintered over very nicely. What should I do this spring? When do I cut it back and do I continue to pinch out growing tips to encourage a bushy growth habit?

The shrub will probably die back to several inches from the ground. If you watch the plant, you'll see buds start to swell. Cut it down to the live buds - 5-6 inches from the ground. Those buds should develop into branches. If it flowered last year, you may find seedlings nearby! However, if your bluebeard is a cultivar, seedlings will not look exactly like the parent plant. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/blue-mist-shrub/caryopteris-blue-mist-shrubs.htm

00
Here are more questions about Caryopteris Shrubs