Lilac Bushes

Care for Lilac Shrubs in Austin, TX

I live in Austin, TX, and purchased two different varieties of lilac shrubs from Sam's Club (assuming that since they were sold here, they must grow here!). Two of the four died, but I still have one of each variety in pots, but neither is doing well. One is a Villosa shrub, but I do not know what the other one is. Some pale green leaves are curling; the other has darker leaves and look 'dusty'. I will try whatever you suggest to save these shrubs, if at all possible (remove from pots, change soil, fertilizer, etc.). At the moment, we have our 100% normal horrible July heat of 100*, heat index of 110*. ANY suggestion will be extremely welcome! Thank you. Deborah (ah2beinvt@aol.com means 'ah, to be in Vermont!')

Put them in the ground. Rig up some shade for the first week. Don't expect a lot of new growth this year. The plant will focus on root formation before top growth. If you are lucky, it will also form next years buds but it may take a couple years before you have blooms. I doubt the roots can feed the leaves fast enough to keep them from drying out and overheating in Tx summer. Also, your plant may be root-bound in the pot. Good luck. Lilac scent is amazing; I bring sprigs in the house every spring.

00
Here are more questions about Lilac Bushes