Cantaloupe

Cantaloupe Vine Pruning

darbillw added on August 12, 2016 | Answered

I have less than 50 growing days remaining. Can I remove all the vine beyond the fruit that is nearing maturity? Should I remove any vines from the main stem that have no fruit? I've read where leaves make a difference but is that only the leaves on the vine with fruit? Thanks, Bill

Yes, it can be beneficial to remove the vines that branch off from the main stem but have no fruit. It is best to leave the on the rest of the vines that are producing fruit in order to maximize photosynthesis, however you can pinch off any flowers that haven't produced fruit yet to maximize energy going to the growing fruit.

10
darbillw

So any vine with maturing fruit should be left to grow, but remove flowers that are not needed (will never mature) and remove the entire vine from the main stem that is not producing any fruit. Is that correct?

00
Here are more questions about Cantaloupe