Blueberry Bushes

Can I Transplant a Blueberry Bush That Has Leaves

burkesm added on April 3, 2013 | Answered

I bought a blueberry bush about 3 weeks ago in March. I was waiting for the weather to warm up to transplant it outside but now it has leaves and some flowers. It is still in the plastic container it came in when I bought it. Will it be okay if I transplant it when it isn't dormant?

Gardening zone 6a.

Yes, get it in the ground, You can always plant from a container. You just shouldn't sever from the ground when leaves are on the plant...unless it's an absolute emergency. Once planted, you will need to supply adequate water until established, usually 8-9 months. I suggest watering deeply one a week so the is moist deep in the ground. This keeps the root system from developing in just the top couple inches of soil. Deep rooting will make a stronger plant.

00
Here are more questions about Blueberry Bushes