Hibiscus Plants

Can I Prune My Hibiscus Right Down?

kaschuba added on December 31, 2012 | Answered

I have had the same hibiscus for about 5 years and it hasn't bloomed in 3 years. It has about 3 straight stalks that are leafy but not doing much. It has been affected by little white fly bugs this year, and I have gotten rid of them but they keep coming back. I am using a water/soap solution to keep them at bay. I was just hoping I can prune down the stalks to about a foot tall and hope for better growth. It is looking pretty bad and shabby right now.

This article will help with pruning: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/hibiscus/tips-for-pruning-hibiscus-plants-when-to-prune-hibiscus.htm

Also, adding a phosphorus-rich fertilizer, or bone meal, to the soil will help with blooming.

00
kaschuba

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it. I am very new to gardening and not sure how to prune. Do I just cut the stalks? Or is there a method to pruning?

00

If you are only using water & soap, make sure it is applied every 5-7 days for at least a month. This will break the cycle of eggs to adults. Consider using neem oil instead or in addition.
YES, the plant may be pruned. This will initiate basal branching along the stems. We do this on a regular basis if we want a shrubby plant.
Is the plant getting fertilizer and light? These boogers are hungry and are sun worshipers. Always use fertilizer according to package directions, and any well balanced plant food will work. You cannot give hibiscus too much light.

00
Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants