Camellia Plants

Camellia Plant – Cold Damage?

I have two camellia bushes that are at least 4 years old, but one seems to be dying.  I first noticed it right after temperatures in Georgia dropped into the teens and single digits. They are not located side by side, but approximately 15 feet apart. One camellia is blooming profusely and looks great, but the other looks really bad, with lots of dead foliage. I think they are the same variety (pink blooms). Do you think the cold weather may have done this damage?

It is possible. In a yard, micro-climates can inadvertently be created. It sounds like your thriving camellia may have been in one of those. Micro-climates are a small place where the temps can stay warmer or colder than the rest of the yard. Things like nearby buildings and trees can influence this.

Here are more questions about Camellia Plants