Just this month I purchased 5 calla lilies in the patio pots for my patio. Due to our cold temps, I have been keeping them indoors and only put them out during warm day hours. My problem is 3 out of the 5 now have developed a problem of leaves and flowers tipping over; and when I touch them, they come out as rotten. The bottoms seem to be rotting out and are slowing spreading and dying. In one I poked my finger down in dirt and there was a mass of jelly-like substance. Do they all have something in the dirt from the company that is killing them? What can I do, as they are too expensive to lose.
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
It may be a soft rot caused by a bacteria (Erwinia carotovora), a major disease of calla lilies. Lack of calcium in the soil makes the plant more suseptible to the disease. Once the disease is present in the plant, it must be destroyed to keep the bacteria from spreading.
As for the care of calla lily, here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/calla-lily/growing-calla-lilies-and-care-of-calla-lilies.htm