Butternut Squash Plants

Butternut Squash

Johnbrown added on July 18, 2017 | Answered

My squash plants are growing like mad. They are all over my vegetable plot. Can I cut back the tentacles? I have so many flowers developing into fruits. I don't want all the extra growth to take nourishment out of the fruits. Plus I haven't the room to let them carry on growing.

This is the nature of this plant.
You can carefully move vines. Providing a trellis is another way to help control the vines.
When it comes to squash vines, yes, you can prune them. It is simply a matter of preference. If they are becoming a little too unruly, or are beginning to take over everything in their twining paths, then pruning may be right choice for you. However, keep in mind that once you begin snipping away at the vines, you might reduce your harvest.
If pruning is desired, some suggest leaving at least 3 to 5 developing fruits to keep the vine flourishing while also ensuring you have enough squash to harvest.

00
Here are more questions about Butternut Squash Plants