Gardenia Plants

Bugs on Gardenia

I have a gardenia bush that I brought into the house when the weather turned cooler. The leaves started to dry up and fall off, and I noticed tiny little white bugs and webs on the leaves. I have sprayed with an insecticide but it hasn't helped. Dish soap and water didn't take care of the problem either. Is there anything I can do?

It sounds like your gardenia may be affected by mealybugs. If not controlled, they will prove detrimental to the plant. You may need to scrape away the white residue and apply several applications of neem oil to remedy the situation. Here is an article that you may also find helpful:

Webs is the tip off for spider mites; however little white bugs sounds more like aphids or mealy bugs or even white fly (if they fly.) The good new is there's always something you can do. Insecticide won't touch mites (because they're not insects, they're spiders,) but soap used correctly will knock out most of your pests. The important thing is to use the spray for 4 weeks at weekly intervals. Also, spray up onto the undersides of the leaves, and down into the axils of the leaves. This link will help you mix your own spray:
Also, when you bring plants into the house for the winter, you need to do it in stages, to allow the plants to acclimate to the changed light conditions. This article tells you more:

Here are more questions about Gardenia Plants