Broccoli Plants

Broccoli Wilting Right After Harvesting

I have had a vegetable garden here in Florida for 12 years. I have had great success with many vegetables, and have learned a lot over the years about soil, weather, insects and heat. I know the window for growing broccoli is short, and very dependent on having cool weather. My question is: No matter how cool or warm, when I have a broccoli head ready to harvest, it turns limp very quickly after I have taken the head off. I have tried storing it with the stalk in water, the head wrapped in a damp paper towl in the refrigerator, and nothing seems to work. I go to the grocery store and all the broccoli is crisp, and I know it has been around a long time. What is my problem? It is crisp before I cut it.

You may want to try blotting the cut end right after harvest and get them into the cold in your fridge as quickly as possible. Actually, to keep them crisp, you want to keep them as dry and as cool as you can quickly as possible.

00
Here are more questions about Broccoli Plants