Japanese Maple Trees

Bringing a Japanese Maple Indoors

Suzanny added on September 30, 2012 | Answered

My sister gave me a Japanese Maple that she had planted in her yard. I want to plant it in my yard, but I have to remove a stump first, and that will not be until the spring. Can I plant this tree (it's only about 3 feet tall) in a large pot and bring it indoors for the winter, and then plant outdoors in the fall?

Yes, it is also advisable that you harden plants prior to bringing them indoors. Here is more info: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/using-pesticides-and-other-chemicals-on-your-houseplants.htm

00
00
Suzanny

The article was very helpful, though it didn't address my main concern. I know that some plants need to be "hardened" before putting them outside. Does the same hold true for bringing an outdoor, yard planted tree, inside and putting it in a pot. Once the spring comes, it will be re-planted into the ground. It's a beautiful tree, and I don't want to kill it, by doing something preventable.

00
Here are more questions about Japanese Maple Trees