Citrus Trees

Braiding Citrus Trees Indoors

I have three dwarf citrus trees each in 4 inch pots. They are about 5-7 inches tall and the trunks are pliable. I purchased these three trees because they were recommended as good container plants. I have this fantasy of coming home to to my apartment and seeing a beautful braided tree with oranges, lemons and limes hanging from the branches. My question is: if I braid the 3 trees and and put them in a pot, will they flower and when I hand pollinate, will they fruit? And, if so, what is the recommended pot size (how small can I go and get results)? And how should I feed it, type and frequency of plant food?

As long as you are careful with the braiding, the trees should respond as normal in flowering and fruiting once they are mature enough. You will need a rather large pot eventually to accommodate the three trees in the same pot, but for now, they should be placed in a pot that is 2 inches wider than their combined root ball. They will need to be re-potted to larger pots as they grow. I would use a slow release fertilizer every other month in the summer and once every 3 months in the winter.

Here are more questions about Citrus Trees