Japanese Maple Trees

Bracket Fungus

I have an old conifer tree stump in my garden and bracket fungus has started to grow on it. I am concerned about other trees I have, a small bay tree, 2 Japanese maples and a Magnolia grandiflora. They are healthy at the moment but obviously I need to prune them occasionally, and I'm concerned that the fungus will attack the open wood.

Because this bracket fungus is growing out of a dead stump, it is highly likely that it does not pose any threat to your healthy trees due to the fact that it is a variety that grows in rotting wood, rather than healthy wood. But, to be on the safe side, after pruning your healthy trees, paint the cuts with a fungicide (and nothing else). This will keep the fungus spores at bay while the tree heals its cut.

00
Here are more questions about Japanese Maple Trees