Bougainvillea Plants

brgone7680 added on August 16, 2015 | Answered

I had ordered a Bougainvillea through an online nursery. When it arrived, I got a plant with anout 8 inches of stem and like 6 leaves on top. What do I do with this? Do I let it grow or can I cut down to try and get some bushier growth? I am new to this plant and not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you. I had planned on keeping as a houseplant.

Thank you for you response. I re-potted Into a small pot as It did not come in one. How much sun will It take or should i leave in Indirect lighting for now

As long as there are some roots, and the leaves look healthy, I would just plant it. If you are going to keep it inside, just make sure it is getting enough light; bougainvillea grows outside in mild climates.
I would start with a small pot; don't stress the roots by putting it in too large of a pot. Then re-pot it in larger pots gradually as the roots grow.
If you contact the nursery where you purchased it, they will at least have notes in case it doesn't survive.

Here are more questions about Bougainvillea Plants