Bok Choy Plants

Bok Choy

reeves999 added on November 12, 2017 | Answered

I transplanted three plants in early October. I have now cut flowers off the top of these plants twice. They look healthy but I am concerned about the flowering. This is the first time I have tried book choy but wanted to give it a try. Am I doing the right thing by cutting the flowers off?

Yes, it is a good idea to cut the flowers off. You can prolong your harvest this way. Now, as to what causes this: The short answer is warm weather. It will go to bolt (seed) when it is too warm for the plant.

It doesn't hurt the plant to cut them off. When they do bolt, though, the leaves may get thicker, or more bitter. To keep this from happening, it is advised to try and keep it in cooler temperatures.

Here is an article that will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/bok-choy/planting-bok-choy.htm

00
Here are more questions about Bok Choy Plants