Bulb Care

Bone Meal

Are there any types of plant that we cannot put bone meal near? We have lots of bulbs and roses in garden and we have planted pansies today but we don't want to put bone meal down and ruin anything.

Hello and thank you for sending your question to us here at Gardening Know How. I was brought up in the gardens by my grandparents and parents, plus I am now in my 60's and have used bone meal for years. I have never had any issues with using it in my gardens and rose beds. I have used super phosphate in my rosebush planting holes and like to put two or three tablespoons of the super phosphate around my rosebushes in the fall to help them over winter well. There have been back and forth articles about which is better bone meal or super phosphate over the years. I have yet to notice any difference between them in my gardens. I prefer to work either one into the soils well when I put them down, especially the bone meal as it does seem to attract the digging dogs, squirrels and some rodents if not worked in well and then watered in well.

00
Here are more questions about Bulb Care