Fig Tree

Bitter Figs

The fruit on my fig tree is bitter. It also seems to produce earlier that my friend's trees. The fruit turns purple like it is ripe, but it is bitter to the taste. The tree is at least six years old and every year bitter fruit. I'm tired of having to get figs from my friends when I have a fig tree of my own. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

There are several things this could be.

First, fruit on most fruit trees will have an off flavor if the tree is stressed. Lack of water or nutrients is the most common reason for stress, so make sure that you are providing enough of these two things.

Second, you may have a different variety than your neighbor. The fruit may be naturally bitter (though that is unlikely) or its ripening process is different. If the fruit is unpalatable, try leaving it on the tree a bit longer to ripen more as unripe figs do tend to be bitter.

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree