Bird Of Paradise Plants

Bird of Paradise Grooming

JLM added on November 10, 2011 | Answered

I have a bird of paradise that is way overgrowing. It has outgrown my home. The leaves are HUGE (leaves 2' x 3. 5' and 15' tall!) and I would like to trim it back. I worry about shock doing too many at once. Some leaves are browning and I am not sure why it has gotten so big. It has never bloomed. Maybe the florist had it labeled wrong?

Yes, it is ok to cut it back (even by a third), and it should grow back just fine. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/bop/bird-of-paradise-pruning.htm

As for the non-blooming, the plant may not be getting enough light for blooming to occur or (and most likely) it may have a lack of phosphorus, which promotes blooming. Since a little extra phosphorus will not hurt, I would give the plant some phosphorus, like bone meal.

00
Here are more questions about Bird Of Paradise Plants