Birch Trees

Birch Trees

Hello Could you please advise me. I have the larger tree in the photograph and it's a beautiful tree. Wanting one the same I sent a picture to a very large tree supply company and they said they could supply the same. I collected the second tree about three years ago and planted it but it looks nothing like my original. Although the branches droop it just looks too tall. Do I cut the middle out or is it not the same tree. Appoligise about the quality of the pictures. Regards Ken Booth

By nature, most birches are shaped like a pyramid, seen in the second picture. If a tree's central leader - the straight branch right to the top- is damaged or removed, unusual shape results as in the first picture, perhaps. I can't tell because the first picture is fuzzy but there are two species of birch that are pendulous or weeping, Betula pendula and Betula ermanii. Perhaps the first picture is one of those. Go to google images for a look.

00
Here are more questions about Birch Trees