Berm Design

Hinoj added on September 9, 2012 | Answered

I'm interested in building a berm on our yard. I have two goals:

1. Decrease visual and noise impacts from a street that passes in front of our yard

2. Create a more interesting topography

Our yard has a gentle slope toward our neighbor, with very clayey soil. It's in Oregon, so lots of rain! We live on 1/3 acre, and there is a fair amount or room to build this.

I'm guesstimating the berm would have to be about six feet high at its peak to (hopefully) hide cars and reduce traffic noise.

So, is this doable? What are some design considerations? How do I calculate the shape to accommodate the angle of repose for the berm? I don't want to have a landslide into my neighbor's yard. . . Will I need some sort of permit? What kind of materials would I use to build it?

I realize this is a lot more than one simple question, but I'd be equally happy with just some general thoughts about this idea.

Here are more questions about Berms