Basil Plants
Q.

basil problem

Zone Belgrade, Serbia, Europe | Anonymous added on November 6, 2018 | Answered

Dear Sirs, I need help with my basil that I am trying to grow indoors. I planted my seeds on October 15th (country: Serbia, Europe) and after the initial period of quick growth they now seem to have weak stems, only a very few small leaves and they suddenly stopped growing. Please have a look at the pictures on this link: https://imgur.com/a/EP2wG How often should I add water to young basil stems as it grows (in milliliters) ? Sincerely, Maria

A.
A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

This seems to have been caused by a few factors. The first appears to be a lack of light. These are ready for transplant, and are full sun plants, therefore they will need great deal of light. This is indicated by the stems stretching, and wanting to bend. The next issues will be solved after transplant. The roots will start spreading fast, and need room to stretch out. The next is too much moisture. This is likely caused by remaining enclosed after germination, as well as too moist of a soil.

Transplant these out, and put them in a window that receives light for all, or most of the day. Either that, or put 100 to 200 watts of horticultural grade lighting. Each plant will want about 8 to 10 litres of soil to grow properly.
There is no set amount of water, as each plant will use this at different rates, and the environment can change leaving determining the proper amount in measurement almost impossible. I recommend watering when the top of the soil dries out almost completely. You can check this with your finger. If you can no longer feel moisture halfway up your finger then it is time to water.

This link will take you to all of our basil related articles, where you will find all of the information you could ever need for growing this: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/basil/

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
Basil Plants
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More