Crape Myrtle Trees

Bark of Peeling Crape Myrtle

I have a beautiful crape myrtle tree about 6 years old. The bark is peeling and squirrels are eating the bark like candy. Will this hurt the area under the bark that has peeled? I don't think they are eating the limb. I live in southern Fla - Zone 8/9. It keeps some of its leaves in the winter time and shades a southern window. I have trimmed it up so I can look through it at a lovely lake. I don't want to lose this tree. I have used pepper spray on the bark to discourage the squirrels, but they come back. NASTY CRITTERS.

The peeling bark is normal for a crepe myrtle that old. As long as the squirrels are not chewing on the bark attached to the tree, it should be ok. But just in case (or just because they are such bothersome pests), this article will help:

Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees