Azalea Plants

Azalea Problem

Several of my over 40-year-old, large Azalea bushes have experienced a random dying off small branches on several sides of the bushes starting in the spring. I originally thought it was frost/snow damage and cut the dead branches back. It's summer now and new sections are dying off in the same manner. I was using a two gallon spray can with insect spray and witnessed a group of 20+ insects fly out of the bushes. But the random dying of small branches continues. What can I do? I never experienced this before and at this time it's affecting 2 of my 20 azaleas, and the ones which over the years have grown together.

It sounds like it may be Twig Blight. Check under the bark of the dead branches for a red dicoloration. If you find this, it is Twig Blight and all the affected branches must be removed,making cuts a few inches below discoloration, and destroyed to have any chance of saving the bushes.

00
Here are more questions about Azalea Plants