Azalea Plants

Azaleas Problem

My azalea looks sick. Leaves, even new ones, are getting brownish spots and droopy. I planted it a month ago in a pot and roots still didn't spread out. I think they look mushy. When I took azalea out of the pot, roots are still the shape they used to be in a shop's pot, before I replanted it. Also, I find sometimes small white balls in the roots, which after squeezing release some watery substance. What to do? Help.

If the roots are mushy, this is a sign of root rot. This article may help (, but with azaleas, it may be a more damaging form called phytophthora root rot (

The white balls are simply fertilizer. The nursery adds these time release capsules to the soil to eventually break down and fertilize the plants.

Here are more questions about Azalea Plants