Rhododendron Plants

Rhododendrons Blooming Out of Season

Four of my 'PJM' rhododendrons are blossoming in the fall. I bought them from different garden centers three years ago. Five others have normal buds for spring. Could stress be an issue? Also, I have other rhododendrons that are having some spotty fall blossoms too! I live in Maryland. What's up?

This phenomenon occurs in species and hybrids of rhododendrons, including evergreen and deciduous azaleas. No one really knows for certain what causes this to occur. However, it's been suggested that environmental conditions, perhaps a period of dry weather in late summer followed by a period of rain and then warmer weather stimulates the plants. Therefore, keeping plants adequately watered throughout the growing season may help prevent fall blooming.

00
Here are more questions about Rhododendron Plants