Avocado Trees

Avocado Tree

I have a beautiful little avocado that I have grown from a pit. It is in a fair sized container and has grown to just over 12 inches, and there are more new leaves coming at the top. I have brought it in and placed it on my landing windowsill because it is getting rather cold in my garden room, which is unheated. But the roots are growing out of the bottom of the pot. When should I transfer it to a bigger pot, and have I done right bringing it inside?

It's fine to bring it indoors over winter. As for the roots coming out, this is an indication that the plant is becoming rootbound, and is in need of repotting. That being said, I would recommend waiting until spring to do this - moving up one pot size. Also, you might want to trim the roots when you repot. Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/learn-more-about-repotting-houseplants.htm

Here are more questions about Avocado Trees