Are Gold Flame Spirea Plants Invasive?

beautyofnature added on May 16, 2015 | Answered

I recently purchased 3 starter Golden Flame Spireas. They look so beautiful but I just learned that they are invasive. Is it true? And if it is true, should I get rid of the plants I just purchased? I am very concerned about these plants. I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Japanese Spiraea (spiraea japonica) is considered to be invasive in the Southeast US (Source: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/shrubs/hgic1074.html)

Gold Flame spiraea is actually a cultivar of spiraea japonica so it would be considered invasive by association. It is advised to grow with caution due to invasive potential. Doe this mean you need to get rid of your plants - no, it does not. However, it is great that you are thinking about preserving the landscape. If you really want to be pro-active, one thing you can do is engage in responsible gardening by removing spent seed heads and developing seed heads before they have a chance to disperse.

For more information on the care of spirea bushes, please visit the following link:

Here are more questions about Spirea