This season in Lawton, Okla. has been a tough one on shrubs and flowers. I have 4 Arborvitae and I guess I wasn't watching them as carefully as I should have been. Two have turned partially brown and one over half has turned brown and the one side is nice and green. The other is spotted brown with light green spotted through. I don't recognize anything specific, although I have some treatment for scale, so I applied some and have been dusting them as the grasshoppers have been awful. I've increased the watering in the event I hadn't watered them sufficiently. They are about two years old. Anything you can suggest I would appreciate. They are planted near the house on the north side.

This kind of browning can be caused either by under or over watering. How much water did they get before and how much are you giving them now? If you can let us know that, we can tell you which it is for your plant.

Here are more questions about Arborvitae