My apricot tree is ten years old. This year it has produced a few leaves on a few branches (one side of tree only) and they immediately wilted. There are no buds on most of the tree. I cut some of the small branches, and they are dead. Some of the bark has a green fungus or mold on them, and roots near surface seem to be in bad shape - very fragile. Have I over-watered? Is it diseased? If I leave it alone but fertilize it, will it come back next year? Is it simply dead?
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
It sounds like it is either dead or dying. The lichen on the tree (green-like mold) is a good indication that there is something wrong. You can read this article to see if it is still alive: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/how-to-tell-if-a-plant-is-dead-and-how-to-recover-an-almost-dead-plant.htm
But even if it is alive, it should most likely be removed to try to stop what is killing from from spreading to the rest of the tree.