Amaryllis Plants

Amaryllis Color Changing

Bruce Forsberg added on March 8, 2018 | Answered

I live in north Florida. I now have about 300 Amaryllis bulbs planted in the ground from a start of 30 bulbs 17 years ago. The bulbs are just now flowering but the colors have changed. Previously I had Pink and white, orange, and deep red flowers. Last year I asked a nursery man what fertilizer to use and he recommended a Rose food. I used a fertilizer that is 14-12-10 . Now all my flowers are Orange. If I start using a fertilizer that is 0-??-?? will the original colors come back?

This is unlikely. This happens over time due to many factors. Most of them are genetic. They may never return to their original color, and most likely will continue to change over time. The only two things you can do now are to sit back and enjoy the strange world of genetics, or replant with the color of your choice. Either way would be up to you. This is a very interesting thing to watch, and I enjoy seeing how flowers change over time, but others will want a certain color. Whatever you decide will be up to you and perfectly fine.

Here are more questions about Amaryllis Plants