Amaryllis Plants

Amaryllis Care

Anonymous added on December 16, 2014 | Answered

I bought an amaryllis bulb in Amsterdam this October. Instead of potting it in soil, I placed it in a bowl on top of rocks and have been keeping the roots (but not the bulb) wet, while changing the water every 2-3 days. It's been blooming beautifully. But what I wonder is how to care for it to rebloom for next November/December. I've read instructions on what to do for amaryllis bulbs after they bloom that were potted in soil, but what do you do for such bulbs that were potted the way I did it?

Also, I live in an apt in NYC, so I can't move the bulb outside during the spring and summer, though I can place it in a sunny spot. Any help here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Essentially, you can treat it as a houseplant for the next few months. Add a little bit of liquid fertilizer to the water after the bloom fades and then it is just a long leafed houseplant. About early summer, remove it from the water and let it dry. Once it is dry, cut the leaves off, wrap it in newspaper and store in a dark, cool location. In early fall, bring it back out and you should be able to start it again as you did this year.

00
Here are more questions about Amaryllis Plants