Fertilizer

Alfalfa Meal in My Vegetable Garden

Skleinmanns added on March 27, 2017 | Answered

Over the past year and a half, I have been trying to amend my sandy garden soil to increase the acidity as it tends to be naturally alkaline. It seems to be coming along nicely. This spring, I am adding fish bone and alfalfa meal, but I just read that the alfalfa meal will increase the alkalinity. I don't want to undo all my efforts! I'm raising tomatoes and cucumbers that need a slightly acid environment. Your guidance would be most appreciated as I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Most sources say that alfalfa meal isn't a problem, and that it's actually slightly acidic at the time it's added. It seems that alfalfa and other leaf-based additives can make the soil slightly more alkaline once they're fully decomposed, but this shouldn't cause a large enough change in the pH to matter much.

00
Here are more questions about Fertilizer