Fertilizer

Adjusting Nitrogen Level in Soil

Carmel added on December 13, 2016 | Answered

I have a small veggie patch and my climbing beans have produced heaps of foliage but are very slow to flower/fruit and minimal numbers. Could it be too much nitrogen, and how can I fix? I have corn, capsicum, cucumbers, herbs and tomatoes nearby all doing well.

Yes, the most common reason beans would not flower is high nitrogen in the soil. Very high temperatures can also kill bean flower buds.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/beans/get-bean-plants-to-bloom.htm

It is best not to add any nitrogen-containing fertilizer to the area you will plant beans that year. The best way to get rid of the extra nitrogen is to grow other plants on that soil for a year or two, especially plants that are known as "heavy feeders" on nitrogen.

00
Here are more questions about Fertilizer