Soil Amendments

Adding Lime to a Mulched Garden

I've stopped tilling my garden every year and have converted to a 100% mulched garden space where I pull the mulch back, dig a hole and fill it with compost and manure, plant and then recover with mulch. I know my soil tends toward acidic and I haven't added lime the past two years. I also use chopped up oak leaves for my mulch, which I understand are acidic. My question is, is it ok to just spread the lime on top of the mulch and let it leach through into the soil, or should I pull all the mulch off down to bare dirt, spread the lime and mix it in? Any help or insights would be very appreciated!

Answered on November 30, -0001

You can move the mulch and mix composted manure and lime, but I would only recommend adding lime if you have had a soil test that recommends that the soil pH is off.

00
Here are more questions about Soil Amendments