Zoysia Grass

Acorns vs. Zoysia

We had a RECORD number of acorns this year. I live in Lakeland, Florida. We have zoysia (little over a year old) and I'm concerned about the acorns killing the grass. They are so thick I can scoop up a hand full. I've been trying to pull up the little "trees" and scoop up some acorns but it is endless. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Trees tend to produce more fruit (like acorns) after experiencing a difficult season. I would guess that last summer was hotter or drier than usual where you live and the tree is overcompensating for the stress. Other than taking the time to remove the acorns, there is not too much that can be done to prevent the volunteer seedlings from appearing. If it would make it easier, you do not need to pull up seedling trees to kill them. Just cutting them off with the mower or a pair of shears will kill these seedling trees.

00
Here are more questions about Zoysia Grass