Beech Trees

A Tree in Winter

Anonymous added on January 21, 2014 | Answered

I live in northern Georgia. There is a native tree here - I believe it to be a birch or a beech - that does not drop its leaves when all the others do. The leaves now are a beautiful light brown, sort of like a brown paper bag and they are all remaining on the tree. I read an article many years ago about them, but I can't remember if it's birch or beech and I can't seem to find any pictures of the trees in the wintertime. As you look out over a wooded area, the scene is dotted with these trees with their beautiful leaves while all the others have turned dark brown and dropped. They create a beautiful scene. Thank you.

Beech trees hold onto their foliage longer than do most deciduous trees. In fact, they don't always lose all their leaves in winter, making them fairly easy to identify. The dead, rusty-brown leaves can actually be quite attractive against a white, wintery background.

00
Here are more questions about Beech Trees