Yucca Plants

Elephant Yucca Pruning and Propagation

nelli added on March 4, 2013 | Answered

I have to cut at least half my elephant yucca, but in the same time I'd like to propagate. When I pot the upper part, is it really necessary to cut those beautiful green leaves, or will they die anyways?

Cutting the foliage back on something newly planted usually helps the plants focus more energy on growing roots rather than foliage growth, resulting in a stronger, healthier plant. For more information on pruning or propagating yucca plants, these articles will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/yucca/yucca-plants-care-and-pruning-tips-for-pruning-a-yucca.htm

Yuccas are pretty strong plants, and while conventional pruning and rooting discussions advise to remove most of the leaves, I personally have just stuck the cut ends of yuccas (and dracaenas too, for that matter) down into the soil the mother plant is in, and they almost always root. Try both ways for yourself, and see what works best.

Here are more questions about Yucca Plants