Viburnum Shrubs

Viburnum Toxicity

witchmum added on June 1, 2012 | Answered

I have been given two Viburnum bushes for my garden, but note from the planting instructions says ALL PARTS OF THIS PLANT ARE HARMFUL IF EATEN. Please can you tell me if this is directed at human beings, or are they harmful to animals as well. I have many animals that come into my garden, including my own dog and two cats. I am also visited by many local cats, birds and foxes.

This shrub is not listed as toxic on the ASPCA's poisonous plant list, and are only mildly toxic to humans. I found nothing about the leaves but the berries are apparently the toxic part of the shrubs. Birds enjoy eating these berries and are not harmful to them. If you are unsure about planting them, you could keep the berries trimmed off.

00
Here are more questions about Viburnum Shrubs