Lemongrass Plants

Lemon Grass

Cambodia914 added on October 23, 2011 | Answered

I live in upstate NY (90 miles north of NYC). I had nice lemon grass this year but am concerned about the roots in winter. A few years ago I covered them with lots of dirt, as a friend advised me, and they all froze to death. What would you recommend? I have considered digging them up and placing in pot plants inside for winter. Thanks. David

They are tropical plants and cannot tolerate temps below 25 F. If it does not get colder that 25 F where you live, they can be left outdoors (covered well) and will come back, but if it does get colder than this, you will need to bring them indoors for the winter.

Thanks Nikki- We live in upstate NY and at times we get chill factors of -30f with regurlar Temps in single digets. I will dig them up and bring them inside for winter.

Here are more questions about Lemongrass Plants