Are There Any Thornless Rosebushes That Bloom Year Round?

misty daniel added on January 29, 2011 | Answered

Please recommend some thornless rose bushes that bloom all year.

MGKimB

I have 3 Zephirine Drouhin climbing roses that are a beautiful double pink (they look like a Hybrid Tea Rose) and they bloom the most in spring and rebloom throughout the summer and fall. They are thornless and they do not mind a little shade. I have them on the Northeast side of my house on an arched arbor and East side of my house on a fan trellis. I am in zone 6.

00

One that is nearly thornless and has wonderful fragrance and beautiful blooms would be one named Therese Bugnet.

00
CaptainAng

Hi Misty~
Good question you have here!
As far as long time bloomers go, Knock Out roses get my vote...and they're low maintenance as well as the most disease-proof.
Now the thornless part. I had to dig out my rose books and here's what I found~
The David Austin English rose is nearly thornless and a great rebloomer. The David Austin's Mortimer Sackler is another lovely, taller, nearly thornless rose.
Sunny Delight and Blue Girl have very few (if any) and they're constantly blooming.
'Nur Mahal' is a completely thornless Hybrid Musk rose, beautiful and fragrant.
'Reine des Violettes' (can be bought from The Antique Rose Emporium ) are 100% thornless and each year it blooms more and better blooms.

I'm sure there are more out there but these are all I could find. Good luck...I'm sure everything will come out 'smelling like a rose'! :)

00