My Christmas Catcus Looks Droopy and Stems Are Coming Off

• Asked By DELDAM in zone not sure northern california
  • Category
  • Date Asked: October 22, 2012

Print This Page Print This Page

I have inherited my grandparents’ Christmas catcus. Of course, we had to repot it cause the roots were growing through the plastic container. It is over 40 yrs old. Well, it looks droopy, the soil is dry to the touch but moist deeper. It has had some pieces break off like whole stems. It looks unhealthy and I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I waterd too much or not enough. It is by a window that has a shade. I keep the shade up during the day. I don’t want it to die. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Ask your friends to help answer this question
Answers
  1. 0 Votes

It does sound like you may have overwatered and it is developing root rot. They should only be watered when their soil has dried out. You can test this by inserting your finger into the soil. Since you said it was moist deeper down, it has plenty of water. It is hard to say how well it will recover. This article will help with root rot: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/disease/treating-root-rot-gardening-tips-for-housplants.htm

I would get some starts from the plant, just in case it does not make it. This article will help with that: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/cacti-succulents/christmas-cactus/how-to-propagate-and-plant-christmas-cactus.htm

2. 0 Votes

i have my in a small pot not over sized. water good, but allow to dry completely in between. must have great drainage. i added some sand to my soil

3. 0 Votes

Make sure your CC doesn’t have scale insects, as they are susceptible to these. They will look almost like a dust on the plants. You can clean them off by mixing 1 tablespoon of mild soap, 1 teaspoon of alcohol, and 2 cups of water. Wipe gently with a Q-tip of piece of cotton.

Answer This Question

If you do not have an account, sign up for an account now and answer this question.